BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review Empty
PostThe Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review Scars_10

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013)
Self-Released (Treiste Records) -- Running Time 21:35

I keep saying it, but bands that label themselves as Alternative, cite the 1990's as a great era for rock and get praised in 'Kerrang' (that once great magazine that has sadly faded beyond all recognition) generally hold very little interest for me. It's an area of rock & metal music that I've never really caught onto and although I always try to be constructive when reviewing such bands, it can be very difficult to be complimentary!

I hope you can feel a 'but' coming though because London based, female fronted, five piece The Mariana Hollow, who describe themselves as Modern Rock/Alternative Metal, have delivered five of the finest songs I've heard this year and I've been utterly blown away by their newest EP 'Scars, Not Wounds'! Not surprisingly, given what I said above, The Mariana Hollow are a completely new name to me and even though they have previously released two albums, I only became aware of them at the recent Rock & Metal Circus Festival where they were easily one of my top bands of the whole weekend!

'Scars, Not Wounds' is sublime from start to finish and personally I find it difficult to label the band as just modern/alternative because that just unfortunately lumps them in with hundreds of bands that are vastly inferior. The problem here though (and it's a good problem) is that I've never heard a band quite like The Mariana Hollow before, so they are not easy to categorise. There are certainly gothic and progressive rock influences but I couldn't name you one band that springs to mind when listening to them. They are also certainly not your everyday female fronted rock/metal band. Vocalist Rebecca Spinks has a truly unique and haunting voice that sends shivers down my spine, her melodies are gorgeous and if there was any justice in this world she would be a household name!

Musically The Mariana Hollow are superb as well. Opener 'The Unburned' (which probably just shades it as my favourite track) is a perfect example of how the whole band gel, provide songs that are emotionally charged and just a little bit unsettling but have amazing catchiness. Gabriel Moreira & Richie Walden's guitar work is beautiful & crisp while bassist Scott Chesworth & drummer Adam Stanley provide a rhythm section that is powerful and tight but never overpowers the melody which is key! They are a band who could genuinely appeal to a huge cross section of music lovers! 'Don't Lose Your Head', 'Sanzu', two minute instrumental 'Adrift' and the title track follow and it all flows exceptionally well!

I said I couldn't name you a band that springs to mind, well that's actually not true. They don't sound like Pink Floyd, but The Mariana Hollow create a similar emotional feeling within me as when I'm listening to later Floyd albums such as 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason' & 'The Division Bell' and from me that is high praise indeed! I'm an 'aging rocker' who has lived this type of music for well over thirty years and it is a absolute pleasure to still be able to come across a band as individual and unique as The Mariana Hollow! 'Scars, Not Wounds' goes straight into my top ten releases of the year and if you crave something thought provoking and different but with enough hooks to make a Hellraiser film look tame then you have to give them a listen!

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review The_ma10

http://themarianahollow.com/
https://www.facebook.com/themarianahollow
http://www.reverbnation.com/themarianahollow

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley: www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review :: Comments

No Comment.

The Mariana Hollow - Scars, Not Wounds EP (2013) Review

Page 1 of 1