BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful

Zodiac : Aquarius Metal Reputation : 1

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review Empty
PostThe Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review Coma_h10

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010)
Self Released -- Running Time 37:10

Score
8.5/10

Alternative Metal & Rock is another area within this music scene that I'm not very fond of. It's just personal taste of course, but most bands in this genre just don't really do it for me. However, if you remember my trip to the Rock & Metal Circus Festival last September, you'll know I saw a band, labelled as Alternative, that absolutely blew me away and it led me to review their last release! That EP was the superb 'Scars, Not Wounds (2013) and the band are The Mariana Hollow.

Here is the link to that review;
https://brutifulmetalradio.forumotion.com/t478-the-mariana-hollow-scars-not-wounds-ep-2013-review

Prior to that EP, The Mariana Hollow had released two full length albums, and their bassist Scott kindly sent them over to me, as I was more than interested to hear what they had already done. First up is 'Coma Heart' from 2010. I was hoping to like it, but what I didn't expect was for it to be such a mature and excellent release, especially for a debut! There really is something special about how this band make me feel and much of that has to do with vocalist Rebecca Spinks. 'Spinky', as the band affectionately call her is quite simply stunning. She sings in a lower register than many female singers, which is a refreshing change, but it is her delivery which makes all the difference. Her voice has a spine tingling and haunting quality, full of emotion and melody that in places reminds me of Kate Bush. Rebecca doesn't sound like anyone else that I've heard before and she really is quite a unique and special talent, on album and live!

Musically, The Mariana Hollow also differ from many of their peers in that they combine their style with Classic, Progressive and Gothic Rock, showcase some brilliantly meaty riffs in places and utilise soloing, which many alternative bands don't! They also write extremely dark songs but with hugely catchy choruses, that really should have them getting radio airplay everywhere. Opening two tracks 'Come Undone' and 'Enemy Lines' (my favourite song on 'Coma Heart') prove this point superbly. You cannot fail to be drawn in by the charged lyrics and quality playing, but then find yourself bouncing around when the chorus hits. This is song writing excellence and all seven on the album are beautifully crafted pieces of art! I said in my review of 'Scars, Not Wounds' that there is a feeling of David Gilmour and latter era Pink Floyd in the guitar work, and that comment remains true here as well, check out final track 'As The Dust Settles'!

The Mariana Hollow are certainly different, but manage to appeal to a hugely wide ranging fan base, such is their ability. Regardless of your personal taste in Rock & Metal, I strongly suggest you check them out because there is something here for everyone. How this band aren't signed by a good label beggars belief!

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review The_ma10

http://themarianahollow.com/
https://www.facebook.com/themarianahollow
http://www.reverbnation.com/themarianahollow

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

The Mariana Hollow - Coma Heart (2010) Album Review

Page 1 of 1