BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful

Zodiac : Aquarius Metal Reputation : 1

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review Empty
PostRetribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review 210

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014)
Pitch Black Records -- Running Time: 56:27

SCORE
9/10

I listen to a fair few Symphonic Black Metal bands, but the group that really does it for me, in that genre, is Dimmu Borgir, especially the material they've released in the last decade. If you, like me, have been waiting patiently for the new DB album then Spanish 'seven piece' Retribution and their debut 'Corpus Antichristi Y3K' is an absolute must own! Actually they did release an album in 2007 but, a little confusingly, they were then called Y3K and the CD called 'Retribution' This new release is on a completely different level of brilliance though!

This is as symphonic and bombastic as it gets but Retribution never lose sight of the 'black' in their music. If you took away the stunning orchestral and horn arrangements then this would still be a walloping black metal album! They also do one thing slightly differently to other bands. They have two main vocalists rather than using a guest or rarely used female operatic singer. 'Loquacious Shihan' provides the excellent harsh, growling vocals but he is matched, almost note for note, by one of the best full on sopranos I've heard on a metal album. 'Itea Benedicto' (looking at her Facebook page, already an in demand stage performer in her own right) has a mountainous set of pipes, perfectly in tune, which add a whole heap of atmosphere and feel to proceedings. If only every metal band with a female 'trained singer' could find someone as talented as she is then I would be in heaven...sorry, hell!

From the opening notes of instrumental 'Arcarius Maleficium' into first track proper 'Opus Serpentis' right through to the closing masterpiece of the title track nearly an hour later, the hairs on my arms were standing on end and continue to do so every time I press play. I know long standing 'purists' of the Black Metal genre dismiss bands such as Retribution and, whilst I can certainly appreciate their point of view, I like my extreme Black Metal to be played with masses of talent alongside huge swathes of orchestral and classically inspired epic soundscapes, in Retribution's case also some Middle Eastern flavouring ala Orphaned Land, and for it to be produced properly. 'Corpus Antichristi Y3K' has all of those things present and more. Both guitarists 'Zakk Threat' (Rhythm) and 'Noos' (Lead) are amazing players, 'Rhad' who deals with all orchestration has absolutely blown me away and the rhythm tag team of 'Tagotis (bass) and 'Bobine Wizard' (drums) drive the songs to places only certain other bands can reach!

Silly names aside, Retribution have a hugely bright future if they can keep coming up with material as good as what appears on 'Corpus Antichristi Y3K' Fans of Dimmu, Chthonic, Dragonlord, Hecate Enthroned and Stormlord won't hear a better album this year!

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review Retrib10

https://www.facebook.com/RetributionY3K
http://www.retribution.es/
https://twitter.com/RetributionY3K
https://www.facebook.com/pitchblackrecords

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley:
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Retribution - Corpus Antichristi Y3K (2014) Album Review