BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Seven Deadly - Obliviation (2014) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Seven Deadly - Obliviation  (2014) Album Review Empty
PostSeven Deadly - Obliviation (2014) Album Review

Seven Deadly - Obliviation  (2014) Album Review Seven_10

Seven Deadly - Obliviation (2014)
Self-Released/Stampede Press -- Running Time 50:02

Score: 8/10

I first stumbled upon UK band Seven Deadly, last September, when they played at the inaugural Rock & Metal Circus Festival. I mentioned in my review that their take on modern metal, with harsh and clean vocals wasn't a genre that always ticked boxes for me but I was suitably impressed with them live. Fast forward six months and Seven Deadly's debut album is due to be unleashed. 'Obliviation' contains twelve slabs of molten, melodic Thrash Metal that also hints at the Electronica, Industrial and Traditional genres, thanks to some samples and keyboards and the more I listen the more I like it. Fans of Trivium, Arch Enemy, Pantera, Machine Head, Lamb Of God and Five Fingered Death Punch should find something to like here as Seven Deadly fuse all of those styles into something they can call their own.

Formed from the ashes of Panic Cell (a band that never hit my sweet spot) Seven Deadly have easily surpassed anything they released and it's a joy to be able to say that I appear to have found a modern metal act that I'm really impressed with. Much of that is down to the aforementioned mix of styles and the bands ability to combine new and old with plenty of groove and also, considering this is a pretty heavy album in places, managed to inject huge amounts of melody without any of the content feeling watered down. Guitarists H. Virdee and Dave Irving (who also supplies the keyboards and backing vocals) have come up with some razor sharp riffing and work extremely well together. That can also be said for bassist Murillo Rassi and drummer Rob Hicks, who provides some thunderous and diverse tub thumping. 'Play The Game' is a fabulous way to start the album, 'Posthumous' really makes good use of the excellent drumming and the title track is going to have everyone singing along live!

There really is some great stuff here, but of course I have a little niggle and that's with Archie Wilson's harsh/clean vocals. Before you all start shouting at me this has nothing to do with his delivery which is spot on, his cleans are especially good. It's the style that lets me down just a little and that's purely due to personal preference. I think he sounds far too like many other modern day metal vocalists and had Seven Deadly not been blessed with strong songs and melody then 'Obliviation' might have been lost in the plethora of bands doing a similar thing. Luckily they do have the chops musically and for me that is what raises this higher than many. This has also been extremely well produced and I noticed good use of stereo when played back!

Despite my slight criticism 'Obliviation' is going to have many people frothing at the mouth when they finally hear it and I can understand why. For an unsigned band this is a very strong release and it surely won't be long before a label signs Seven Deadly for album number two. I'm really looking forward to seeing them live again at Alt-Fest later this year!

Seven Deadly - Obliviation  (2014) Album Review Seven_11

http://www.sevendeadly1.com/
https://www.facebook.com/sevendeadly1
https://twitter.com/sevendeadly1
https://www.youtube.com/sevendeadlytv

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Seven Deadly - Obliviation (2014) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Seven Deadly - Obliviation (2014) Album Review