BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review Empty
PostWind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review Shadow11

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012)
Bakerteam Records -- Running Time 66:03

Having never heard of Wind Rose before (they've only been around since 2009 after starting out as a covers band), but seeing that they were another Symphonic/Prog Metal band from Italy (usually a good sign), I did some internet research on them, saw plenty of very positive comments, this debut was after all released in the second half of 2012, and then settled down to listen to the album! After hearing it twice I decided to do some more reading for two reasons. Firstly, many people seem to be calling them straight ahead Power Metal which is wrong and secondly, and more importantly, I'm more than a little perplexed at all the wonderful praise Wind Rose are receiving!

Before everyone starts shouting at me I'll deal with the genre issue. I don't like having to categorise everything, music should be enjoyed, or not, without labels, but it seems to be a required element these days. Gamma Ray and Primal Fear are Power Metal bands, Wind Rose deal in very different realms, namely Fantasy/ Epic/ Classical/ Medieval/ Folk etc. Of course there is a little cross over, but these guys worship at the altar of Blind Guardian and Rhapsody (right down to a full blown fantasy concept story) and that isn't' just' power metal. As for the praise issue, well Wind Rose have definitely delivered a good album especially in the production, mastering and artwork areas, the musicianship is of a very high standard (although some of the voice acting in the story sections is amateurish and cheesy) and overall I've heard a lot worse, but therein lies the problem, I've also heard MUCH better!

Song wise Wind Rose do not pack enough punch or catchiness to warrant mega compliments. Big guns such as Dream Theater, both versions of Rhapsody, Symphony X and Blind Guardian etc eat this lot for breakfast, however so do slightly smaller acts such as Thy Majestie, Dragonland, Vision Divine, Ensiferum and others. Even more of a problem though, are some vocal issues with Wind Rose's front man 'Francesco Cavalieri' and I'm really surprised no-one else seems to have mentioned this. He actually starts off very well indeed (even though he is slighly lacking in power), but during 'The Fourth Vanguard' I started to notice a couple of slightly duff notes. This trend continues to worsen throughout, culminating in 'Oath To Betray', which containes some of the most hideously off key 'singing' I've heard in a long time. He might as well be singing a different song to the rest of the band! I'm a drummer, but I have done some lead vocals in the past and If I had recorded something, that on listening back sounded that out of key, it would have been consigned to the bin in no uncertain terms and I've not had three years of vocal training!

To develop Wind Rose need to write some catchier choruses and deal with the vocals. I don't want to be seen as overly harsh because they are only a young band but if they can overcome those then they could be a very good prospect.

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review Promo_10

https://www.facebook.com/windroseofficial
http://www.windroseofficial.com/
http://www.bakerteamrecords.com/index.php

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley: www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Wind Rose - Shadows Over Lothadruin (2012) Album Review

Page 1 of 1