BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful

Zodiac : Aquarius Metal Reputation : 1

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review Empty
PostThe Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review The_bl10

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014)
Self-Released -- Running Time: 15:02

SCORE
8.5/10

When Steve Saunders (all round top bloke and fab bass player) got in touch with me and asked if I would be interested in listening to and reviewing an EP from a band he manages, but that it was a bit different from my usual diet of Metal then I happily jumped at the chance. I will listen to anything and if you've read any of the reviews that I write elsewhere then you'll know I often review other rock genres!

The Black Waterside from Kent, UK are the band in question and it is their self-titled debut EP that is being reviewed here. They might be a bit different from the stuff I usually review for Brutiful but damn, they are flipping good! This fifteen minute, four track EP is a cracking mix of Psychobilly, Rock 'n' Roll, Americana, Punk, Blues and Southern Rock that's going to have you tapping your foot faster than my rather antiquated bass drum pedals!

A radio broadcast introduces the band and first track 'Four Minute Warning' and I my first thought was 'I have got to see this band live'! It's a Rockabilly gem of a song. Fans of The Clash, Tom Waits and The Stray Cats are going to love this band! Next up is 'Whorehouse Down On The Southeast' and this is my absolute favourite song here. Heavy slide blues guitar riffs and solos courtesy of Holly Kinnear and Dan Lucas, the powerful and gravelly tones of vocalist Adam Bray and the excellent swing induced rhythm section of bassist Joe Whalen and drummer Jim Davies! Think Seasick Steve on steroids. It's an instant hit. A cover of 'Brand New Cadillac' is the third song and it's a grand effort considering it's been done many times by others! EP closer 'Wrong Side Of The Track' is the slowest song here but no less powerful. A blues burner with a spoken word mid section that reminded me of David Lee Roth's 'Sensible Shoes' from his underrated album 'A Little Ain't Enough'!

All in The Black Waterside have come up with a fabulous debut. They all know how to play, production and mix is spot on and they obviously have great fun. It's not necessarily original but the hooks are huge and that's what matters. My only complaint is that it's too short. I'm going to be checking the gig listings regularly for this lot!

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review The_bl11

https://www.facebook.com/theblackwaterside
http://theblackwaterside.bandcamp.com/

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley:
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review :: Comments

No Comment.

The Black Waterside - The Black Waterside EP (2014) Review

Page 1 of 1