BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review Empty
PostAnnie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review Annie_10

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013)
Self Released -- Running Time 16:03

Annie Sails Sorrow (Or ASS as they seem to like to be known) are a Modern Melodic Hardcore band and are based in the Eastern Oregon/Washington area of the US and what we have here is their five track 'Drifter' EP. Now you should all know me well enough by now to be aware that Metalcore and Hardcore is not really 'my thing', mainly due to the similarity of the vocalists and their inability to do much but shout into the microphone as if they have a bad case of laryngitis! Now, Annie Sails Sorrow haven't suddenly come up with a cure for that problem vocally, in fact on first listen, vocalist 'Colbree' sounds just what you would expect from a band of this genre, but, what makes them different is the music itself. Often I just cannot get passed the 'singing' to what's happening underneath but Annie Sail Sorrow have captured my imagination. Apart from many familiar traits they utilise progressive elements and mix them up well into songs that constantly surprise. You never know what's going to happen and far from that being frustrating it's very enlightening and it's HEAVY!

Opening track 'Drifter' (Jacob Krueger, vocalist from Like Vultures is a guest) begins menacingly but I thought a little predictably, then wham, a different riff appears about a third of the way in and suddenly the songs comes alive. Couple that with a big chorus and some great piano accents near the end and after a few spins I was hooked. That feeling continues for the duration and even though the EP is fairly immediate it actually grows the more you listen such is its diversity. Third track 'Cast Away' is a real head pounder as is EP closer 'Beefcake'. My favourite track though is 'Unsinkable'. It has some great riffs, time changes, melody and a surprisingly low key chorus that works a treat. Production has been handled by Steven Riverman of Stand Alone Recordings in Portand, Oregon and the songs sound massive so kudos to him and the whole package looks professional.

I'm not going to lie, I do wish the vocals were more diverse but that's a personal issue and not a slight on Annie Sails Sorrow. I've always found it difficult to embrace the Metalcore and Hardcore genres but, having said that, fans of this style of music should go and check this band out now because out of the many bands I've heard creating music like this then Annie Sales Sorrow are easily one of the best!

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review Annie_11

https://www.facebook.com/AnnieSailsSorrow
https://twitter.com/AssbandOR
https://anniesailssorrow.bandcamp.com/album/drifter-e-p

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Annie Sails Sorrow - Drifter EP (2013) Review

Page 1 of 1