BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review Empty
PostToby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review Raisin10

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013)
Townsend Records/Stampede Press -- Running Time 22:35

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's Little Angels were on my radar a lot. I loved there brand of hard rock and it has always remained a mystery to me as to why they never broke through because they should have been absolutely huge. One of the main reasons for that were the superior vocal talents of Toby Jepson. If you liked the genre then it's safe to say he was always regarded as one of the best singers and even though he was out of the spotlight for quite a few years after Little Angels split, the last decade has seen him return with a solo career, reformed for a reunion tour with the Angels, fronted rock band Gun, sung alongside Tim Owens in Dio Disciples and has become a sought after producer!

What we have here is Jepson's new EP/Mini-Album 'Raising My Own Hell' a semi acoustic effort which sees him back to his absolute best, although it sounds nothing like Little Angels. Firstly, he has lost none of his vocal power or range (watching him with Dio Disciples at Bloodstock Festival a couple of years back had already proved that point to me) All six songs here are superior compositions utilising a variety of styles that merge beautifully and his lyrics are thoughtful, poetic and when needed heart-felt!

If you need some references then think Foreigner, Uriah Heep, Glenn Hughes, Styx, some hints of Bowie, Uriah Heep & Marillion and the Big Band/Swing feel of final track Shadow Boxer almost had me thinking Michael Bublé, but it all sounds like pure Toby Jepson. Guitar and Keyboards throughout are superb, in fact all the instruments used are excellent (just check out the saxophone solo in the title track), it rocks like a boat on stormy waters, that voice...well that's the icing on the cake and it sounds like he enjoyed every single second of making this!

Toby Jepson really should be a much bigger name, but he always comes across as someone who doesn't really mind one way or the other as long as he can release music and if it continues to be this good then I for one am in for a treat over the coming years! Had I actually got round to hearing this when it was released last November then it would have been in my end of year lists!

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review Toby_j10

http://www.tobyjepson.com/www/
https://www.facebook.com/tobyjepsonofficialfan
https://www.facebook.com/stampedepressuk

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Toby Jepson - Raising My Own Hell EP (2013) Review

Page 1 of 1