BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review Empty
PostVoodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review Showdo11

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013)
Dust On The Track Records/Rock ‘N’ Growl Promotion -- Running Time 44:17

When Italian Classic/Retro Rock band Voodoo Highway arrived on the scene in 2011 with their debut album ‘Broken Uncle’s Inn’ there was an awful lot of hype, with certain individuals claiming that they were the ‘New Deep Purple’! Now far be it for me to actually be level headed, but that was a very over ambitious statement, It was a fairly good album but nothing that warranted that level of praise. Now in 2013 they return with sophomore effort ‘Showdown’ and once again many early reviews are already claiming this to be the ‘best album of the year’ etc! While it is a better album than the debut I’m still finding it difficult to understand all the plaudits the band is receiving!

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I see Voodoo Highway as a very capable group of musicians making good music, but who are missing that final vital spark to make them something ‘truly special’. There is a Deep Purple connection but mainly in the style of the keyboards used. I also hear 1980’s Uriah Heep, Joe Lynn Turner era Rainbow, Skid Row, The Darkness and they also remind me a little of an Italian version of Knock Out Kaine, but personally I don’t think they are quite as strong as any of those bands. Opener ‘This Is Rock ‘n’ Roll, Wankers!’ is short, sharp, sweet and enjoyable although the slight accent on the vocals probably make it a little more amusing than it should be. ‘Cold White Love’ and ‘Prince Of Moonlight are two pretty strong tracks, there is some well executed guitar work, great keyboards and some pretty good choruses peppered throughout the album, but I don’t seem to remember them when the album has finished, and that is the problem I think Voodoo Highway suffer from. ‘Showdown’ sticks to the formula of the debut and the songs are stronger, but they still aren’t strong or memorable enough to really make this stand out!

I probably am sounding a little harsh with this review; it’s certainly a very good album and ‘Ferderico Di Marco’ (vocals), Filippo Cavallini (bass), Matteo Bizzarri (guitars). Alessandro Duò (keyboards) and Vincenzo Zairo (drums) can obviously sing and play, but not all bands receive the sort of positive press that Voodoo Highway have and it irks me slightly that I cannot see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps album number three will click for me!

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review Voodoo11

https://www.facebook.com/WhoDoHighway
https://www.youtube.com/TheVoodooHighway
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DUST-ON-THE-TRACKS-Records/217606008291541
http://www.rockngrowl.com/

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley: www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Voodoo Highway – Showdown (2013) Album Review

Page 1 of 1