BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful

Zodiac : Aquarius Metal Reputation : 1

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review Empty
PostDirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review Raw_co10

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013)
Unsigned -- Running Time 35:03

SCORE
9/10

I've said this before but one of the huge plusses for me over the last two years of reviewing is not getting the big releases sent to me, but about bands that otherwise would have completely passed me by. That sense of discovery and elation I get when putting on a CD from a new, unsigned or independent artist and finding out it rocks my soul is a wonderful feeling and just as strong as when I was listening to all the greats for the first time 35 years ago! It's also a huge bonus for me that I don't narrow my listening to one genre of rock or metal. I'll give anything a chance!

Dirty Lions are one of those bands. If I hadn't seen them live at 'The Rock Den' a couple of months back I suspect I would never have known they existed which would have been an absolute crime. Formed in 2011, this five piece band who describe themselves wonderfully as 'Sonic Esperanto' are a joy to listen to, but are incredibly hard to categorise, hence why I love their genre tag so much.

'Raw' is their debut album and is a cracking mixture of Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and little bits of Folk and Funk, it's a laid back gem and once again proves there is a huge underbelly of talented musicians that never really get the credit they deserve. Dirty Lions are fronted by the smouldering good looks and wonderful vocal talent of Michelle Jimenez Alder, who is an absolute star in the making. Her voice is equal parts Anne Wilson, Lauren Smoken, Janis Joplin and Robert Plant all wrapped together with a sexiness that's very hard to ignore, well I think so anyway! It's not just Michelle though, Guitarists Mark 'Dusty' Wright and Ken Day make a formidable team as do the 'Medicine Hat' rhythm section of Laurie Dalziel (Bass) & Garry 'Jim' Bowler' (Drums) who know each other inside out.

'Counting The Lions', 'Shivers' (aptly titled because it does indeed make me shiver!), 'Guitar Man', 'Moondance' and 'Skarabic' (my fave song with its Middle Eastern influences) are all nigh on perfect. Production on 'Raw' is clean but there is still a great authentic feel and everything was recorded live by James Baker and mixed superbly by Steven Loveday. It's real and that is how it should sound. If you get a chance to see Dirty Lions play live then don't hesitate because you'll love it. I can't wait to see them again. I also hope it's sooner, rather than later, that we get a second album. If 'Raw' is any indication then 'Sonic Esperanto' just became my favourite genre!

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review Dirty_10

https://www.facebook.com/dirtylions
https://twitter.com/DirtyLions
http://dirtylions.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-YrOBTM2OE

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley:
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Dirty Lions - Raw (2013) Album Review