BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review Empty
PostToadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review Toadst10

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010)
Self-Released -- Running Time 20:11

Gloucestershire, UK based Toadstool are another of the bands that I was introduced to for the first time on my recent festival trip for Brutiful and they very kindly gave me both of their EP's to listen to. First up is their debut from 2010 and if you like a good dose of very early Rush mixed with a smattering of Led Zep all played with huge amounts of energy and enthusiasm then Toadstool will be for you!

The EP opens with the fantastic 'Pigzilla' and such is its immediate catchiness and charm, it is safe to suggest it has already become a live favourite and anthem for Toadstool. It has an incredibly simple but hugely enjoyable riff and tempo which gets your foot tapping immediately. With such a great opener you might be concerned that they cannot continue with the quality, but you would be incorrect. Next track 'Hands Of Time' is where the early Rush influences really kick in. Vocalist/bassist Alex Macaskill sounds very much like a mix of Geddy Lee and Marc Bolan. I think I can say that any of the five tracks here would sit fairly comfortably next to material from the first Rush album, indeed the intro to final track 'The Water Witch' can be placed exactly over the intro of Rush's 'Finding My Way' from that very album without it being a copy!

Joining Macaskill on this EP are Nick Ingram (lead), Jack Porteous (rhythm) and Dave Meadows (drums) and they all put in very good and solid performances. They play with a freedom, groove and live feel missing from many younger bands who often rely too much on triggers and corrective software in the studio. It's nice to hear that and even though Toadstool do add their own musical flavour to proceedings and this is a well produced CD (courtesy of Chris Maguire at Screamadelica Studios In Cardiff) it still takes me back to my younger years when things weren't perhaps quite so polished as they are nowadays.

Since both of their EP's were released Toadstool have trimmed down to a three piece and have a newly recruited drummer and that is the lineup I saw gig recently. I'm pleased to say, when comparing that performance to this CD, there is very little, if any, difference in the quality of their sound. Of course we are three years on from this EP and the constant gigging has obviously helped in that respect. Toadstool are a young and gifted band. This was a very assured debut, well beyond their years. I'll be reviewing their second EP 'The Visitors' next and I very much look forward to the debut album which will hopefully see the light of day in 2014!

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review Toadst11

http://toadstoolrock.com/
https://www.facebook.com/toadstoolrockband
http://toadstool.bigcartel.com/

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Toadstool - Self-Titled EP (2010) Review

Page 1 of 1