BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful_ViXn
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful_ViXn

Zodiac : Aries Metal Reputation : 88

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review Empty
PostSplintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review Festiv10

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012)
Self-Released -- Running Time 15:06

Splintered Soul are a band I first heard at the recent Rock & Metal Circus Festival and with a full length debut album 'Lore' imminent I am reviewing their 'Festival EP' from 2012 which was released specifically to tie in with their live festival appearances from last year including Bloodstock! Splintered Soul describe themselves as 'Epic Cinematic Metal' and that's just about as perfect a description of their music as anyone could possibly come up with. All three tracks on the EP are massive slabs of bombastic Power/Progressive Metal with huge film score and musical theatre influences, oh and did I mention they are superb!

Formed in 2006 by guitarist Chris Frost there have been the usual lineup changes, but, after meeting and chatting with the band, they have now settled on a strong and very friendly lineup which should see their name on many people's lips come 2014. What makes them stand out, and they do definitely stand out, are not only the vocal talents of Spanish born 'Erica Mengod' who manages to produce a huge voice from a tiny frame and whose slight accent is perfect for the music but also the stunning and beautiful six string electric violin work of 'Sally Jo' who is in essence Splintered Soul's 'second guitarist'. Of course the brilliant eight string guitar work of 'Chris Frost', six string bass of 'Andrew Penders' and powerful drumming of 'James Burrows also have to be mentioned! These guys and girls can really sing and play but please don't think that their musical talent overshadows anything else because the song always comes first!

I know you'll say "But Rick, there are loads of female fronted bands of this type" and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you but Splintered Soul's influences, and the fact they utilise violins which add a lovely Celtic or Classical feel in places, do give them a serious edge over many of those 'other bands'. Opening track 'Cambyses' has superb Middle Eastern melodies and rhythms and hits you like a truck driven by Epica, Kamelot and Orphaned Land, but importantly doesn't ever quite sound like any of those three excellent bands. Likewise 'Oblivion' and 'The Epic' both have echoes of various others but you never feel that you've 'heard it all before'. Splintered Soul take me on a faraway journey when I listen to them and as far as I'm concerned if a band can do that it's a winner!

Knowing how good Splintered Soul are live and with their debut album promising to be a very grandiose affair when it is released, it would be nothing less than they deserve to grab some gigs supporting acts such as Rhapsody, Kamelot, Within Temptation or Amaranthe, where they would easily hold their own and get some much needed publicity. It really is about time genuinely talented musicians and bands in the UK, such as Splintered Soul, got some serious attention rather than the endless stream of so called 'talent', or as I call it bilge, that invades our TV screens on a weekly basis! Another excellent band to add to my ever growing collection!

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review Splint10

https://www.facebook.com/SplinteredSoul
http://www.reverbnation.com/SplinteredSoul

Review written exclusively for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Live photo courtesy of Rob Nankivell
http://www.shootplymouth.co.uk/

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Splintered Soul - Festival EP (2012) Review