BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Welcome to Brutiful Entertainment! Take a look around the forums area (hit the forum button). We hope you enjoy your stay and come back anytime!!
BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT

Promotions, News, & Reviews

PROMOTIONSHomeBrutiful UniScentsINTEXcablesLatest imagesFancy Guitar CaposSINISTER GUITAR PICKSSelect A Head LLCDAHMER ARTCurt Mangan StringsMandalorian Mercs Costume ClubGalleryLog inRegister4TH BMF 2015

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brutiful
Reign In Metal
Reign In Metal
Brutiful

Zodiac : Aquarius Metal Reputation : 1

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review Empty
PostCaptain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review The_li10

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014)
Rocksector Records -- Running Time 67:39

Score
7/10

I had never heard of West Midlands Progressive & Modern Alt-Rock band Captain Horizon until recently, when Rocksector Records, who have recently signed them, kindly sent me this to review. 'The Lights Of Distorted Science' was originally released in 2012, but in preparation for a new album later in 2014 Rocksector have given this debut the re-issue treatment as a digital only Bonus Edition, with some extra tracks thrown in!

Captain Horizon present a sound that incorporates some 70's Prog Rock (Genesis etc), 80's second wave of Prog (Pendragon etc), Hogarth era Marillion, and 90's & 00's Modern Alternative Rock. There is also a nod to Rush. Due to that modern 'Alt' sound I'll say right now that Captain Horizon aren't my favourite band on the Rocksector roster, but that doesn't mean they aren't making some very interesting music which should please a pretty wide fanbase!

Steve "Whitty" Whittington (lead vocals), Joshua Watson (guitars, backing vocals), James "Mez" Merrix (drums, percussion), Alex Thomson (bass. backing vocals) all put in good performances, and I'll single out Thomson's bass work as the best here, but I sometimes feel they are trying a little too hard and in their effort to standout in the genre, some of the melodies (musically and vocally) sound a little disjointed and harsh. There are a couple of occasions when it feels like singer and band are playing different songs and I thought if they could let the music flow more and relax it would sound much more natural. It is also a very sombre album and some increased light and shade wouldn't go amiss, especially as this version of the album is well over an hour in length. On the plus side Captain Horizon can definitely rock out when they want to, as on 'Light Years' which is my favourite track. Listening to the guitar work on 'Pious' I was reminded of Zep/Jimmy Page and 'Patch' is a very emotional song about First World War veteran Harry Patch, who passed aged 111 in 2009.

As for the bonus tracks on this edition we get two previously unreleased songs 'The River' & 'Ex Deus', and as if to signify the importance of the song 'Patch', we also get acoustic and single edits, which are nice if unessential!

You may feel like I'm being overly critical of 'The Lights Of Distorted Science', after all it is still a very enjoyable album, but I think Captain Horizon can deliver much more than this so I'm not only looking forward to album number two but also to seeing them live at SOS Festival and The Rock & Metal Circus Festival this year! What this does prove to me is that boss of Rocksector Records Mark Appleton has a really good ear for picking emerging talent in a wide range of genres!

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review Captai10

https://www.facebook.com/captainhorizon
http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/captainhorizon
http://www.mwaweb.com/rocksector.htm

Review written for Brutiful Entertainment by Rick Tilley
www.facebook.com/richard.tilley.351

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review :: Comments

No Comment.

Captain Horizon - The Lights Of Distorted Science, Digital Bonus Edition (2014) Album Review

Page 1 of 1